The elementary school offers regular extra-curricular programs during the course of the year. Each year brings new opportunities for students to be active in special programs and shows. The following activities are a sample of what is available throughout the year in the elementary:
1. Destination Imagination – The world’s largest creativity and problem solving educational program. (www.destinationimagination.org)
2. Paiol Grande – An educational children’s camp located about 200 km from São Paulo in the Mantiqueira Mountain Range. The elementary school, grades 1 to 6, has an annual four day excursion during which time the students “learn while playing”. On this trip the students will have an excellent opportunity to reinforce their friendships, and maintain an informal relationship with the teachers, strengthening the bond between them. The children will participate in social and artistic activities, sports events and recreational time. (www.paiolgrande.com.br)
3. Science Fair – Exhibits are presented and awards given in this annual elementary school event. Students from 3rd to 6th grades participate under the direction of their classroom teacher.
4. Intramurals – The Physical Education Department runs an Intramural Sports Program at break and lunch time for grades 4 -6 .
5. International Week – Associated with the International Festival, this week is a time when parents come into classrooms to show slides or videos and make short presentations about their ethnic heritage. It culminates with the International Festival, a Saturday feast of food, costumes, dances and songs.
6. Spelling Bee – An annual event held at school for grades 4 through 8. The winner of this then competes the spelling bee for all International Schools in the city.
7. Music Programs – A number of musical programs are organized during the year by the elementary music teacher along with the elementary school students.
8. Chess Club – An after school club run and organized by an elementary teacher who teaches the rules and strategies of chess. The students they play one another practicing all that they’ve learned.
9. Student Choir – The elementary has two different student choirs which meet during lunch time twice a week to practice and learn new songs. The choir present songs at masses, graduations and other special events.